Tuesday 25 August 2015

Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Khichdi

Hello, boys and girls,

Welcome to cooking with Varun! Not long before I left Solihull, England to head back to India, one of my roommates from Antrim, Northern Ireland, the big talking UPite (or Roommate #2 from previous stories, if you prefer), moved to a town not far away. After a few failed attempts at making a plan, we finally cobbled something together and I headed to his (and his new bride's) home to spend a Saturday. I took a train from Solihull in the morning and less than 30 minutes later, I was standing outside Leamington Spa station, squinting in the sunlight as I waited for him to come pick me up. He arrived a few minutes later and we drove the 10 minute drive to his place and climbed up the stairs to his apartment. After a little chat, it was down to business; breakfast. I had spoken to him the night prior and told him I wanted sabudana khichdi, so he had the sabudana all soaked and ready to go. As he cooked, I chatted with his (significantly) better half since this was the first time we had met in person, and pretty soon we were all sitting down to big plates of piping hot sabudana khichdi that went down a treat!

After breakfast, Roommate #2 and I popped out so I could see the sights and sounds of Leamington Spa, and we spent the next couple of hours walking around the town and checking out the museum. Upon our return, we put a movie on for background noise, and were joined shortly by 2 of his friends, Quiet Guy, and Pompous Scab. After the customary introductions, handshakes, and idle chit-chat Pompous Scab suggested that Roommate #2 break out the whiskey, and we play monopoly, the game fabled to end even the best of friendships. I hadn't played a lot of monopoly in the past so I wasn't too keen, but it was infinitely easier to play than listen to Pompous Scab's complaining, so I consented and pretty soon we were all heavily involved in our make-believe world. Since I was quite green, I got the occasional tip from Quiet Guy and Roommate #2 on how I should invest, and once I was comfortable, my competitive streak kicked in and I started dealing and trading with the others to further my cause. One such deal involved a setup with Quiet Guy and Roommate #2 that would effectively shut out Pompous Scab and drain him of his resources until he'd have to stop playing. Old Scabby, who was obviously furious at the prospect of losing (and tipsy from guzzling all that whiskey), proceeded to throw an absolutely phenomenal hissy fit, complete with stomping and cursing. Now, I'm no angel either, and because it amused me, I continued to goad him with comments like how when I win, I like to decimate my opponents, which I had effectively done to him. Even more incensed, he slammed his glass down and started moved threateningly towards where I was sitting. As I contemplated the best angle to hit him with Edge's finishing move in the WWE, a spear (in self defense of course), without breaking any furniture, the others stepped in and calmed him down. Once peace was restored, Scabby pointedly avoided me (not that I complained), and I busied myself tucking into a dozen dosas and chutney that Mrs. Roommate #2 was doling out at an astonishing pace.

As the light started to fade, it was time to go back to Solihull, and a short drive and train ride later, I was back home.

This recipe, is the recipe to that excellent sabudana khichdi that we polished off, and is really quite simple.

For my Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Khichdi, you will need the following:


Sabudana 300 gms
Potato 1 medium
Peanuts 2 big handfuls
Curry leaves small handful
Green chillies 2
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Oil big splash
Lemon

Prep:
 
  1. Wash and soak the sabudana overnight.
  2. Roast the peanuts.
  3. Grind/pound the peanuts into tiny pieces. (Don't powder them.)
  4. Boil and peel the potato.
  5. Chop the chillies.
Method:
  1. Turn on the gas.
  2. Bung a pan on.
  3. Splash in the oil.
  4. Count to 20.
  5. Roll in the chillies.
  6. Float in the curry leaves. 
  7. Pop in the potato.
  8. Fry for a couple of minutes.
  9. Take the pan off the heat for a minute. (This is because sabudana gets sticky if you put it in a really hot pan.)
  10. Drain and bounce in the sadudana.
  11. Shake in the peanuts.
  12. Add salt to taste.
  13. Pinch in sugar to taste.
  14. Mix well.
  15. Cook for a few minutes. (Toss it occasionally like the chef at a Chinese restaurant.)
  16. Taste test.
  17. Adjust the seasoning and cook some more if required.
  18. Turn off the gas.
  19. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and a lemon wedge.
  20. Stuff face.
  21. Bask in the glory of your successfully executed dish.


Tip: Wash the sabudana well to get all the starch off and don't skimp on the peanuts, or you'll end up with a sticky, chunky, mess. It'll taste fine, but it doesn't look so pretty.

And remember, overeating is a myth. A full tummy is a happy tummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment